I’ve been somewhat fearful about going off prednisone, but it won’t be all bad.
Here is my list of pros and cons about being on a low dose of prednisone:
Pros of staying on prednisone:
- Prednisone, even on low doses, seems to control my arthritis.
- Allergy control. I have a lot of allergies, not just to foods and medicines, but also to dust, fur, smoke, pollen, spores, etc. etc. Prednisone makes hayfever more bearable.
- Steroids make me cheerful and energetic. If I go off them, I risk depression and lethargy.
- Avoiding going through withdrawal (i.e. short-term symptoms).
Pros of going off prednisone:
- One less reason for the Exceptional Access Program to mess with funding my Remicade.
- Reduced risk of glaucoma, osteoporosis, and other side effects of long-term steroid use.
- Reduce water retention.
- Gain muscle (prednisone inhibits muscle growth).
So long as I don’t have arthritis problems or feel depressed, I will consider going off prednisone to be a net gain situation, even if it means buying new and smaller bras. 🙂